In this blog, we will be discussing the seemingly mundane, yet endlessly fascinating and challenging, world of corporate compliance.
Believe it or not, that last sentence was not meant to be sarcastic.
I stumbled into this field about five years ago, and I am constantly learning new things. In fact, the sheer amount of information out there can be overwhelming and intimidating. One of the main reasons why I started this blog was to provide a practical and exciting way to process and engage with this flow of information. I also hope this blog will serve as a forum for a fun, lively, and informative discussion of the challenges faced by those who work in the corporate compliance field.
Among other topics, I plan to address:
- Data Privacy
- Export Compliance
- Anti-Money Laundering (AML)
Whenever possible, I want to focus on:
- Practical challenges faced by people working in compliance.
- Connections and patterns that may not seem obvious.
- Short-term and long-term trends.
- The interaction of law, technology, and people.
Whenever possible, I want to avoid:
- Dry summaries and analyses of recent court cases.
- Anything that is likely to bring about law school flashbacks (this includes, inter alia, gratuitous use of latin phrases).
- Political commentary (it is probably safe to say that we all need a break from that).
- Industry speak (no disruption please).
Finally, this blog should reflect its subject-matter. It should be:
- Dynamic, not static;
- Holistic, not overly compartmentalized;
- Proactive, not reactive; and
- Interactive, not siloed.
To that end, I welcome any constructive comments and suggestions and will always be on the lookout for interesting guest posts.
That is all for now, but I look forward to meeting other professionals in the corporate compliance field and bouncing ideas back and forth!